Side Plank – Right hand up
- From a Plank position, raise one arm, turning the torso on its side, supporting the body on one arm and the foot.
- Ensure the shoulder is aligned with the hand.
- Place the upper foot over in front of the other.
- Make a fist with the raised hand, look through the knuckles, and reach up.
- Ensure that the core, back and inner thighs are engaged and aligned.
General and Boxing-specific Benefits
The Side Plank is an effective exercise for strengthening the core, particularly the oblique muscles, stabilizing the shoulders, opening the chest and improving balance. Boxers may benefit from both counter-stretching and strengthening the arms.
Cautions and Modified Versions
Participants with wrist problems should practice with modification and support the body on the elbow.
Spine/Core: External oblique, serratus anterior, gluteus maximus,
Upper limbs: Pronator, flexor carpi, triceps barchii,
Lower limbs: Rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, peroneals,
HELP AND SUPPORT
If you have any questions during your studies, feel free to use the BoxingYoga™ Worldwide Support Group on Facebook. It's a dedicated forum for students and coaches to help and support each other, wherever you are in the world.