Reversed Table Top (Chatus Pada Pitham)
- From the Seated position, open the chest, inhale and roll the shoulders up and back.
- Place the hands on the ground directly under the shoulders, fingers pointing in. See Variation below.
- Exhale and lift the hips off the ground, supporting the body on the feet and fists.
- Engage the back of the leg.
- Open the chest, align the neck with the spine, and engage the muscles in the arms and legs.
Variation: On the Knuckles
- As above, support the upper body on the knuckles.
- Ensure your weight is centred and balanced on all four limbs.
- Keep the wrists straight.
- Thumbs wrapped around the fingers.
- Do not under any circumstances wrap the fingers around the thumbs.
General and Boxing-specific Benefits
The Reversed Table Top works as an effective counter-stretch, stretching the chest and shoulders, the wrists and the legs. This pose also benefits boxers by strengthening the neck and the legs.
Cautions and Modified Versions
Participants with neck weakness should avoid dropping the neck below the shoulders. Participants with extremely tight shoulders can remain seated on the floor. Place the palms behind the back and push to open. Stretch the chest forwards.
Participants with neck weakness should avoid dropping the neck below the shoulders. Those with extremely tight shoulders can remain seated on the floor. See Seated Pose.
Spine/Core Spinal extensors, anterior neck muscles, psoas major, abdominals, trapezius
Upper limbs Deltoids, rotator cuff, triceps brachii, anconeus, rhomboids, intrinsic muscles of the wrist and hand, pronator quadratus and teres, triceps
Lower limbs Hamstrings, gluteus maximus/medius/minimus, adductor magnus, gracilis,
Study and Reflection
What should you be emphasizing to students while they are practicing this pose?
HELP AND SUPPORT
If you have any questions during your studies, feel free to use the BoxingYoga™ Worldwide Support Group on Facebook. It's a dedicated forum for students and coaches to help and support each other, wherever you are in the world.