- Support the body on toes and palms, keeping the spine straight and the head looking slightly forwards.
- Engage the core, chest, shoulders, back and arms.
- Engage the quadriceps and push through the heels to keep the legs straight.
- Lengthen the tail bone towards the heels (or pubic bone towards the belly button) and engage the core to support the lower back.
- Widen the shoulder blades and keep the hands shoulder-width apart.
- Keep the feet hip-width apart. Be careful not to collapse the chest.
Variation: Knuckle Plank
- Support the body on the fists and the feet.
- Engage the core.
- Widen the shoulder-blades.
- Align the neck with the spine.
- Straight legs.
- Push back on the heels.
Transition to/from Plank
- From the Lunge position, place hands to the ground on either side of the front foot.
- Face downwards slightly to align the neck with the spine.
General and Boxing-specific Benefits
The Plank strengthens the arms, the core and the legs, and builds shoulder stability. Performed on the fists, the plank also strengthens the forearms and stabilizes the wrists.
Cautions and Modified Versions
Avoid bending at the core and keep a straight spine. Participants with wrist issues or weak arms and core should use modifications, placing the elbows or knees on the ground and focus on form.
Spine/Core: Spinal extensors and flexors,
Upper limbs: Serratus anterior, rotator cuff, deltoid, pectoralix major/minor, triceps brachii, pronator quadratus and teres, intrinsic hand and wrist muscles
Lower limbs: Hamstrings, adductor magnus, gluteus maximus, gracilis, intrinsic foot muscles
Study and Reflect
Pay special attention to your core as well as your arms and legs while practicing this pose. Is the whole body aligned or do you collapse at the core? What happens to your breathing? Are you engaging the whole body? How long can you hold the pose for?
HELP AND SUPPORT
If you have any questions during your studies, feel free to use the BoxingYoga™ Worldwide Support Group on Facebook. It's a dedicated forum for students and coaches to help and support each other, wherever you are in the world.